Creating Your 7 + 1 Plan
(1) FIND SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO
The first step in developing a personal plan is determining why it’s important to YOU to control your drinking. We put the emphasis on YOU because your own motivation is the only truly effective force. You can decide to quit because you got a DUI or because your spouse has been complaining about “your problem,” but those aren’t true motivators. They ultimately make you feel trapped, helpless or resentful. And over time, change due to external negative motivators is only temporary.
Take some time to develop new goals and rekindle old dreams. A positive reason to cut back on your drinking is ever so much more motivating than trying to slow down because you feel bad or guilty.
(2) MAKE A LIST OF THINGS YOU LIKE TO DO AND DO THEM INSTEAD OF DRINKING - TRY TO DO 8 PER DAY!
Come up with some alternatives to drinking that are equally as pleasurable and preferably some that require that you do them sober in order to perform best or enjoy them the most. Fill your life with positive, enjoyable activities and experiences instead of turning to the bottle. Make an effort to do at least 8 of these (or more) per day!
Click on downloadable Worksheet- Things to Do Instead of Drink to help you.
(3) PLAN YOUR DRINKING
Decide how you want to drink and develop your drinking goals before you start to drink. WARNING – Don’t set unrealistic goals, though, or you’ll feel deprived and set yourself up for possible failure. Sort of like starving yourself when you’re trying to diet and binging on an entire chocolate cake afterwards.
However, if you have decided you never want to drink a drop of alcohol again, then ABSTINENCE is a PERFECTLY GOOD PLAN. We’ve heard from others who have chosen this route and they use MODER8® to help deal with the occasional cravings.
Example Drinking Plans:
Goal or Objective: "To drink like a 'social' drinker – I never want to have a hangover again."
- Take MODER8 – The Supplement – daily or when I feel like "Hey, I could use a drink."
- Take MODER8 – The Supplement 30 minutes to 1 hour before drinking.
- Maximum number of drinks in a day = 3.
- Drink no more than 2 days in a row.
- Drink no more than 3 days in a week.
Goal or Objective: "I want to get out of the fog and 'feel' again. I don’t want to poison my body with alcohol ever again."
- Take 2 MODER8 every morning.
- Live life alcohol-free.
Click on the downloadable Positive Activity and Drinking Log to help plan your drinking.
(4) IDENTIFY DRINKING TRIGGERS AND DEVELOP A PLAN FOR HANDLING THEM
We all know that alcoholism is a complex, multi-faceted problem. While much of it is biological, a lot more of it is behavioral. That means we have to learn how to stop abusing alcohol. While products like MODER8 help to address the physical issues, only YOU can change your behavior. Use the downloadable worksheet to help you identify your triggers and develop a plan for how you will handle those issues instead of drinking. Also, read our blog post, Drinking Triggers – Identifying And Developing A Plan for more details about identifying your triggers and making changes.
(5) CONTINUE TO VISIT OUR DRINKING CONTROL TIPS BLOG FOR VALUABLE INFORMATION, TOOLS AND INSIGHT (6)USE THE DOWNLOADABLE eBOOK OR HARD COPY WORKBOOK FOR MORE TOOLS AND EXERCISES. Click Here to Purchase Workbook.